I have three teenage boys staying at my house for the week. Yes that does mean ear plugs are involved (for me anyway). One of the boys suffers migraines and is on a strict gluten free dairy free diet. Sounds familiar doesn’t it. So I did a lot of baking to accommodate him and give him some treats. Here is the first.
It is very difficult to find a recipe for granola bars that does not include oats. So I ended up doing a mash up of my favourite recipes and the experiment turned out not half bad. The did disappear pretty fast which is a good indication that they were good to a group of boys that is.
2 cups quinoa flakes
¼ cup ground flax seed
½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
½ cup slivered almonds
1 cup dried fruit (I used cranberries and cherries next time I think I’ll use blueberries and apricots)
½ cup natural nut butter (I used almond but I think hazelnut would be good as well)
½ cup raw honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine quinoa, flax seed, coconut, almonds and dried fruit in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place nut butter, honey and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until nut butter melts.
- Add to dry ingredients along with lightly beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Spread mixture evenly, push down as evenly as possible
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
I’m sure it freezes well but I never had the chance to find out.