I was told by my Naturopathic Nutritionist that it was a good idea to have a glass of warm lemon water first thing every morning when get up.
Right now I need a daily reminder set on my phone to tell me to take my lemon water, but hopefully soon it will become a habit. So after I drag myself out of bed I head to the kitchen and prepare my concoction which consists of 1/4 of an organic lemon and 8 ounces of warm filtered water. It’s not so bad, just don’t have it after brushing your teeth like I mistakenly did one morning, then it’s really nasty.
The reasoning behind drinking lemon water was explained to me as a way to help flush out my liver. After all of the chemicals that are running rampant throughout my body from the chemo and radiation, it is my liver that is having to work overtime to clean everything out. So anything I can do to help it out, the better off I’ll be in the long run.
Here are some other reasons I discovered why lemon water first thing in the morning is helpful to me:
- it’s effective in dissolving uric acid which causes inflammation and pain in the joints
- it helps reduce the symptoms of gout which runs in my family so anything I can do to prevent it is fine by me
- it helps reduce high blood pressure which again runs in my family
- it reduces phlegm which helps breathing which in turn helps with asthma, which I have suffered in the past and will hopefully help with sleep issues
- it helps dissolve gallstones which I have currently
- it nourishes nerve cells which the chemo had damaged
I am constantly amazed by these simple natural aids. If I can get away from taking drugs and turn to natural remedies, then I will gladly do that.